Eluveitie - Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion (2009)

By Elric on 12:58 PM 20 April 2009

Filed Under:

When I learned that Eluveitie are recording their new album I was really excited. And how cannot be. I saw them live recently as a support act to Kreator and they kicked some serious ass while their previous album Slania was amazing. In addition I had already heard Omnos which was a real good appetizer.


Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion is an acoustic album that has nothing to do with their previous works. Don’t expect to hear any drums, electrics guitars or the brutal vocals of Ghrigel Glanzmann. In this album Eluveitie explore the different sides of European folk/pagan music. They succeed to create a very nice, and sometimes dark, atmosphere. However, this is, probably, the only positive element of Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion.

After a short intro, the album starts with Britcom, an interesting and cheerful song ala Folkearth style (when they play acoustic). And then…nothing. Indifferent songs comes one after the other. A lot of instrumentals or whispering vocal based songs (Carnutian Forest, The Cauldron Of Renascence). I had to wait until the 8th song to hear something worthy (Omnos) which is with difference the best song of the album. However, the rest of the song are equally indifferent as the first ones with exceptions of Memento, Voves in Mori and Ne Regv Na

In general I was totally disappointed by Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion. I think that it has nothing to offer to a metal fan. Even if it has its moments in the end I was tired-out! On the other hand if someone likes to listen to only folk/pagan music then I guess he will find Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion a really interesting album. But still ,I would prefer the works of Folkearth or Haggard.

The entire
Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion can be streamed in Eluveitie's MySpace page.


Rating: 50/100


The Band

  • Chrigel Glanzmann – Vocals, mandola, guitar, gaita, etc.
  • Meri Tadic – Fiddle, Vocals
  • Anna Murphy – hurdy-gurdy, vocals
  • Pade Kistler – gaita, bagpigpe
  • Kay Brem – Bass
  • Ivo Henzi – Guitar
  • Simeon Koch – Guitar
  • Merlin Sutter – Drums


Tracklist

01. Sacrapos - At First Glance
02. Brictom
03. A Girls Oath
04. The Arcane Dominion
05. Within The Grove
06. The Cauldron Of Renascence
07. Nata
08. Omnos
09. Carnutian Forest
10. Dessumiis Luge
11. Gobanno


0 comments for this post

Post a Comment

Scream For Me